The psychological impact of such a disaster may not only have consequences for the victims and their relatives but also for anyone who is caring for these people and offers help. Symptoms of trauma/PTSD .
The most important task at first is to provide basic needs for these people, including food, drinking water, shelter, emergency medical help and more. But we must not forget the large psychological consequences of this kind of trauma event. Since sufficient psychiatric or psychotherapeutical help is present in most countries, the Internet may give at least some sort of basic information.
The experiences of people affected by the tsunami are terrible:
- your life and the lifes of your relatives are threatened
- many relatives or close friends and colleagues may have died or are lost
- homelessness and loss of personal belongings
- somatic illness due to lack of water and food.
Here is a directory of links related to trauma and help for victims of the tsunami disaster in December 2004:
- with a lot of information and support options
- Very good and comprehensive guide published by people in Sri Lanka! with some basic information of the
- Medline Plus information about trauma
- Basic information about tsunami help
Emergency self help with EMDR
If you have any additional links or texts (esp. foreign language texts) feel free to share this information and post a message to us. We will try to include it in the directory or pages of Ducnguyen to allow public access. Thanks!